Book a Teacher (FAQ)
How to book a DANCE MILL Teacher / Artist
Who generally books a Dance Teacher / Artist?
We work across the UK in a variety of settings. If you are responsible for a group we could help you plan a visit from one of our dance teachers / artists with a dance experience designed especially for you.
What is the role of a Dance Teacher / Artist?
To make dance accessible to all in the community; catering for their individual needs abilities, background and experience.
What service can a Dance Teacher / Artist provide?
Taster sessions, educational dance workshops based on curriculum themes, youth groups, and regular developmental sessions, performance projects are all popular requests. We are open to your requests and will be flexible to meet your needs.
Do they provide their own dance plans or can they work with something related to what the young people are working on in class?
Both; we feel it is beneficial for the youth leader or teacher to inform the dance artist of what else the group are looking at. Dance is a great tool to reinforce conceptual ideas in other areas. We always ask for guidance on a theme and then create a plan to suit.
What periods of time can they be booked for? In terms of hours, days, weeks, months, etc?
Often we have regular groups that we work with for a couple of hours each week. We visit them same time each week sometimes for a long period of time. In terms of youth groups we have 4 artists that work with different youth groups four nights a week, so if you want an evening session you need to get in quick!
Schools often ask for one-off workshops. We could work with one group for the whole day or access several groups.
Often schools ask us deliver a session to compliment the topics and themes in other curriculum areas, or to help other teachers deliver dance to tie in with the National Curriculum or QCA guidance.
Depending on what you are looking for as sometimes if it is a one off session we can slip you in a month in advance. However often to ensure you get the times and dates you want it is best to ring a term (4 months) in advance - but the sooner the better.
Who should I contact if I would like to book a Dance Teacher/Artist?
Please contact The Dance Mill on 01422 248000.
The Dance Mill
White Rose Mill Holdsworth Road,
West Yorkshire HX3 6SN
How much will it cost?
This will depend on the length and number of sessions. We have a sliding scale of prices and charges starting from as little 70 plus travel or see our package details which can be downloaded from the OUTREACH section. Contact Joanna to discuss details of your project.
The dance teacher/artist will need to know the following information prior to the workshop:
- Number of Participants
- Theme and Aims
- Date and time of the workshop
- Directions and address for venue
- The main contact
- Any special needs
- Information about dance space, how big it is, the type of floor
- Whether you have a CD player
What can DANCE MILL Development offer?
With over 30 years of experience in Community Dance. DANCE MILL artists are passionate about offering a unique dance experience accessible to all. The Dance Development team based in Halifax aim to offer a diverse range of work across the UK, supporting existing and developing new dance infrastructures.
Workshops and Classes
- Dance workshops for anyone 5years to 80 +
- An inclusive, fun, creative approach to dance
- Accessible to those new to dance as well as more experienced dancers
- A wide range of dance styles to meet your needs including regular weekly classes
- One off dance workshops and intensive projectsFacilitation of dance work in a variety of settings such as schools, colleges, universities, youth clubs, community centres, health centres and outside spaces
- Particular expertise in special needs and those with disabilities
- Collaborative projects with other arts organisations
- Leading edge support and development for young people through regular classes, peer led workshops,
youth performances and progression into the DANCE MILL (Youth Dance Company)
- Tailor made programmes of work for gifted and talented young people
- Dance with Early Years and Older People
- Community residencies: we spend a concentrated period of time in your area for the purpose of kick
starting dance activities which may continue after we have left.
Training, Support, Advice and Advocacy
- Advice, support, mentoring and professional development for freelance artists, emerging artists and
- Advice and support for individuals, teams, organisations and schools in developing dance activities in
most forms, shapes and sizes.
- Dance activity days for team development days.
- In service training days for those who work with dance in educational settings customized for primary,
secondary and special environments.
- Representation of good practice within community dance.